Thursday, November 20, 2014

Digital Story


For my Digital Story I plan on doing surveillance and how it is used in todays society. I will use SlideRoll, One True Media, or PowerPoint to depict my story. I will create a slide show with pictures and text underneath to describe the picture. I have not decided yet, but I was also thinking about playing music in the background, or taking out the text on the screen and doing a voice-over.

As we all know, government surveillance is an issue that bothers many people. In my slideshow, I will create a first person narrative about what I believe and some of the facts that are present. The reason I chose surveillance is because I believe that it as a great example of something at the intersection of digital media and social justice. As said before, I will incorporate my opinion about government surveillance as well as general facts found through online resources. In my opinion, I have nothing to hide when on the internet and so on. That does not mean I am for the government to continue tapping into our electronics. Some people are against it even if they nothing to hide due to it being a violation of their freedom. I am 100% for the government still using surveillance to catch terrorists or anyone that threatens our country or people. It does not make sense to spy on innocent people who have no ties to terrorists or any organizations along those lines. Its a tough subject because if the surveillance is halted altogether than its hard to catch terrorists, but on the other hand, if we do keep allowing them to spy on us but only for security purposes, how do we know that they will only spy on terrorists and not regular civilians? I do not know very much on this topic, just the basics, so it interests me to research it more and develop more of a backed opinion in order to create  a Digital Story. I will likely research the positives and negatives of the topic and decide what point of view I want to portray my story.

The first part of my story will be background information about the topic of surveillance, along with the Edward Snowden case. The middle part of my story will consist of my formed opinion on surveillance, facts, and first hand experiences. Lastly, the conclusion part of my story will consist of what i believe our government and country should do next. To elaborate more on how my story will be organized, I will most likely have pictures relating to the corresponding text box along with music. I was also considering doing a voice over explaining the text boxes in  more depth.

Sulmasy, Glenn, and The Opinions Expressed in This Commentary Are Solely Those of Glenn Sulmasy. "Why We Need Government Surveillance." CNN. Cable News Network, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 20 Nov. 2014.( This source is joing to be used in my story on why surveillance is good)


Hightower, Jim. "8 Terrifying Facts About NSA Surveillance." Alternet. Alternet, 16 Apr. 2014. Web. 19 Nov. 2014. ( Used for facts pertaining to surveillance)

Murphy, Dan. "Americans Say They Are Pretty Comfortable with Expanded Government Surveillance." CS Monitor. N.p., 11 June 2013. Web. 20 Nov. 2014. (Used as well for facts)

No comments:

Post a Comment